Start enjoying the many benefits of union membership by completing your membership application today.
Are you already a member of the American Federation of Musicians (a member of another local)? If not, by joining the Detroit Federation of Musicians, AFM Local 5, you will also become a member of the AFM. However, if you are a member of another local, you will not be assessed dues or application fees for the AFM, only Local 5 fees and dues. If you have any questions about the application process, please call our office during normal business hours at (248) 569-5400 or email your question to email@example.com.
- $170 Annually – if payment is received in January.
- $42.50 Quarterly – dues may also be paid quarterly.
- $35 Local Initiation fee – A one time fee which is waived if the applicant is under 21, a full time student, or a member of a musical group whose non-union members are all joining at the same time.
- $65 National Initiation fee – A one time fee for applicants who are not yet members of the American Federation of Musicians (or former members who resigned in good standing). This fee is also waived if the applicant is under 21, a full time student, or a member of a musical group whose non-union members are all joining at the same time.
Benefits of Joining as a Student
Musicians who are under the age of 21 or are full time students are also eligible to join with No Initiation Fees!
Benefits of Joining as a Group
No Initiation Fees when ALL non-union members of a musical group join at the same time: All non-AFM members of your musical group may now join the union by paying just the quarterly dues of $42.50. This means it costs only $42.50 per musician to join – a savings of $100 per person! To qualify for this discount:
- Your group must have 2 (two) or more non-union members.
- ALL non-union members of your group must join at the same time.
- You must provide a sample professional photo, brochure, or web site (provide address) as proof of your status as band mates.